In this article, we will have explained the necessary steps to install and configure Simple Screen Recorder on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. Before continuing with this tutorial, make sure you are logged in as a user with
sudo privileges. All the commands in this tutorial should be run as a non-root user.
SimpleScreenRecorder for Linux is a program that allows users to record screens for games and software. This tool can record a specific area on the screen or the whole screen, and it can also optimize recorded frame rates and manage time delays. The user can even preview the recorded videos while recording.
- Graphical user interface.
- Faster than VLC and FFmpeg.
- Records the entire screen or part of it, or records OpenGL applications directly (similar to Fraps on Windows).
- Synchronizes the audio and video properly (a common issue with VLC and FFmpeg).
- Reduces the video frame rate if your computer is too slow (rather than using up all your RAM as VLC does).
- Fully multithreaded: small delays in any of the components will never block the other components, resulting in a smoother video and better performance on computers with multiple processors.
- Pause and resume recording at any time.
- Shows statistics during recording.
- Can show a preview during recording, so you don’t waste time recording something only to figure out afterward that some setting was wrong.
- Uses libav/FFmpeg libraries for encoding, so it supports many different codecs and file formats.
Install Simple Screen Recorder on Ubuntu 20.04
Step 1. First, before you start installing any package on your Ubuntu server, we always recommend making sure that all system packages are updated.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade
Step 2. Install Simple Screen Recorder on the Ubuntu system.
The application is in the official repositories of Ubuntu and its flavors, run the following command to install it:
sudo apt install simplescreenrecorder
However, if you want to enjoy the latest stable version available, you can add the application’s PPA repository:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder sudo apt update sudo apt install simplescreenrecorder
Step 3. Launch Simple Screen Recorder.
Once the installation is completed. You can launch the application by searching it through the system Dash or by accessing it from the Applications listing.
That’s all you need to do to install Simple Screen Recorder on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa. I hope you find this quick tip helpful. For further reading on Simple Screen Recorder, please refer to their official knowledge base. If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.