In this article, we will have explained the necessary steps to install Plex Media Server on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. Before continuing with this tutorial, make sure you are logged in as a user with
sudo privileges. All the commands in this tutorial should be run as a non-root user.
Plex is a powerful and feature-rich media streaming server that can be used to organize your video, music, and photo, and stream them to remote the remote devices from anywhere. You can install Plex on Linux, FreeBSD, macOS, Windows, and NAS systems.
Install Plex Media Server on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Step 1. First, before you start installing any package on your Ubuntu server, we always recommend making sure that all system packages are updated.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl wget
Step 2. Install Plex Media Server on Ubuntu Linux.
Installing the Plex on your Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish system is straightforward, Now execute the following command on the command prompt to download the Plex package using
Finally, install Plex with the
dpkg command below:
dpkg -i plexmediaserver_126.96.36.19997-5bd057d2b_amd64.deb
Once successfully installed, now its time to check whether the Plex is up and running on our Ubuntu 22.04 server properly without any error:
sudo systemctl status plexmediaserver sudo systemctl start plexmediaserver
Step 3. Configuring Firewall.
If you are using a server with firewall UFW enabled then, you won’t be able to access Plex with any other computer available in the same network:
sudo ufw enable sudo ufw allow 32400
Step 4. Accessing Plex Media Server.
Now, open your web browser and access the Plex by going to the below URL:
Follow the on-screen instruction to set up the Plex media server:
- To use the Plex server, you will need to grant access to this newly installed Plex Media Server on your Plex account. So, sign to your Plex account through Google, Facebook, Apple, or Email account or create a new Plex account with the email by clicking on Sign up with email.2. Once you sign in or up for the new account, you will get the How Plex Works page. Click GOT IT.
- Close the Plex Pass pop-up if you do not want to subscribe for Plex pass features.
- Set the Plex Server Name on the next screen and click the Next. Leave the box checked for – Allow me to access my media outside my home.
- On the Plex Media Server set up, click on ADD LIBRARY and select the Library type based on your media folder type and then Name the library. Finally, click NEXT.
- Click the BROWSE FOR MEDIA FOLDER and choose the media folder manually or type the folder path you created earlier and then click ADD.
- Finally, click Add Library.
- You should see the added library now. Then, click NEXT.
- Click DONE to complete the Plex Media Setup.
That’s all you need to do to install Plex on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Jammy Jellyfish. I hope you find this quick tip helpful. For further reading on the installation of the Plex Media Server, please refer to their official knowledge base. If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.